om-synth

Re: [Om-synth] om and lash memory usage

From: Antonio
Subject: Re: [Om-synth] om and lash memory usage
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 12:46:50 +0200

2005/10/25, Dave Robillard <address@hidden>:
[cut]
> > Om has memory usage issues I'm trying to get to the bottom of.
>
> Got to the bottom of them. :)
>
> Turns out it's the fault of mlockall().  Om in CVS now consumes 2.5MB on
> startup instead of 38MB as before (!!).

Wonderful! I'm going to compile the CVS ;-).

> Then you start the Gtk client, which launched the jack driver, which
> calls mlockall() and bring all the useless garbage back into memory :(.
> I sent a mail to the Jack list about this problem, I don't think this is
> acceptable behaviour whatsoever.  I'm on a 512MB system and I can just
> barely squeeze everything into RAM I need for a session as well.

Don't know if it matters, but in my report I've used the "Unlock
Memory" switch in qjackctl to unlock the memory used by the graphical
toolkits.

I'm very happy for these further optimizations. I will report the new
memory usage on my 32bit system using CVS.

Many thanks.

Cheers,

  ~ Antonio