Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Helping in Savannah

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Helping in Savannah
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 23:48:09 +0100

On Sun, Mar 09, 2008 at 03:25:26PM -0700, Franco Iacomella wrote:
> Hi Sylvain,
> I did what you asked me. Here are the both answers i would send to the
> submitters:
>
> SHOOT:
> ---------
>
> Hi Jonas, I am reviewing the project you submitted for hosting at Savannah.
>
> The package you submitted lacks of source code. We need source code is
> provided so we can check if its Free Software and there aren't any
> license incompatibility.
>
> Te

^ typo

> description you submitted is incomplete. You should give us
> dependencies information and a better description of your project.
>
> Also, you should add a file named "AUTHORS" and put there your name
> and contact information. Your actual "README" should have more
> information about your software.

AUTHORS and README are parts of the GNU coding standards, but are not
requirements for Savannah hosting. It's up to the authors to decide
whether and how to place this information.

> If you are willing to make those changes, please submit a new updated
> package or provide us with an URL to get it. After that, we will
> reconsider your project for inclusion in Savannah.
>
> Regards,

This sounds good if you fix these 2 remarks.

> --------------------------------
>
> --------------------------------
> HYBRID:
> ----------
>
> Hi Francesco, I am reviewing the project you submitted for hosting at
> Savannah.
>
> Everything in your submit and package seem to be right, so we are able
> to approve and include it in Savannah. The only thing I can say is
> that I couldn't compile your software because ELKlib dependence cannot
> be satisfied as there isn't any release yet. Just a minor detail.
>
> As I say, your project have been approved. Congratulations and welcome :-)
>
> Regards,
> --------------------------------

I had a careful look and there are 2 things to fix in this submission.

First, you should note to the user that his copy of the GPL, in
COPYING, refers to the old FSF address and need to be fixed.

Also, the documentation needs to be released under the GFDL instead of
the GNU GPL for 2 reasons:

- we do not accept GPL-only documentation at Savannah, because we want
  documentation to be compatible with the GFDL.

- the documentation includes part of the GNU Coding Standards manual
  (http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/standards.html) which is released
  under the GFDL, and cannot be included in GPL'd
  documentation. Moreover, this part of the documentation does not
  carry the original copyright notice, which is a violation of the GNU
  Coding Standards license (we have the impression that the author
  wrote it, instead of Richard Stallman / FSF).

Please send me updated/fixed reviews :)

Cheers,

--
Sylvain