Re: Reply to header

From: Brian Mathis
Subject: Re: Reply to header
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2004 13:55:59 -0500

Hendrik Mangels wrote:
Suso Banderas (2004-11-02, 17:35):

While we're on the subject of modifying the screen list. It would be
nice if a Reply-To: address@hidden header line was added.

http://www.mutt.org/doc/manual/manual-3.html#lists

 Sigh, I know.  I already use G and r for replying, I was trying to
avoid using L.  I guess I just don't think of mutt in that way (using
different reply keys for different things).  Most other lists I'm on
just have a Reply-To: header instead.  I thought I might be able to get
you guys to agree to do this.  But if not, no big deal.

Hendrik

Yes yes, that site is very popular.  It absolves anyone from making a
real argument for or against Reply-To.  None of the arguments presented
there are incredibly strong, and certainly none are strong enough to
uphold the blanket statement "no one should ever use Reply-To".

There's also:
    http://www.metasystema.net/essays/reply-to.mhtml

Bottom line is that every list should make that decision on their own.

My view is that most lists *should* be using Reply-To:, because the main
point of a mailing list is to talk to everyone on the list.  Replying to
a specific author is rare, while replying to a thread is very common.
I've been on many lists with frequent messages that start like:

    Please use the 'reply all' button to send messages to the
    list.  I'm forwading your message to the list because I
    think you meant to send it there.

The frequency of those posts is a good indicator that people use the
reply button most of the time.  The expectation that people will change
their behavior by using a special button to reply to a list instead of
the regular reply button is flawed.  You cannot expect people to change
ingrained behavior because of some esoteric and dubious argument about
correctness.