sketch-devel

Re: Color Model

From: ecker
Subject: Re: Color Model
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 16:41:03 +0100 (CET)

Hi Joel,

>> C. Ecker wrote:
>
>Joel Biddier wrote:
>>If we want CMYK what do we need to change then ? Adding a CMYK to the
>>color selection is trivial, but what else would be needed ? What about
>>images ?  Color proofs ?
>>

> That's my big problem - I don't know. I did not even know that adding
> CMYK to the RGB color scheme was trivial.
> I thought it might be really hard to change the color scheme to include
>  CMYK.
> I only understand the topic at the user level - sorry. But I can

Well, then you understand more than I do.

Changing the internal representation is trivial as long as it is only
internal (this is also a trivial conclusion). The color could be
automatically translated to RGB when decoded, so that "r, g, b = color"
still works without changes. And the translation to other color spaces
could be done via methods e.g. c, m, y, k = color.CMYK() . It could then
descided in the implementation of the device which variant to use. There
is only one change which has to be done: the fileformat should allow to
save and load the internal representation of the color.
(I am just guessing and writing this without looking in the code, maybe
its completely wrong.)

> learn...
>
> There are options to CMYK (such as ICC ) that can muddy the waters...
>

> RGB - three 0 - 255 color bars (one, red, green and blue)
> CMYK - four 0 % - 100% color bars (one cyan, megenta, yellow and black)
>
> note that the bars really use the same RGB colors on the screen.

OK, it will be like that. There are also other options which might be
interesting: a different widget than the gtk color wheel, or mixer as in
corel draw. But we can descide that later.