sketch-devel

Re: Color Model

From: Joel Biddier
Subject: Re: Color Model
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 14:26:42 -0800

C. Ecker wrote:

Hi all,

Since there is the problem with half finished transparency anyway, it is a
good time for thinking about skencil's color model. There are two issues I
want to put under consideration:

- CMYK: would be great to have. AFAIK, it requires to change the internal
representation of the color, because CMYK contains additional information
compared to RGB, i.e. by transforming a color from CMYK to RGB information
is lost. Therefore each color in skencil should be represented internaly
in CMYK-format instead of RGB as it is now.

- Transparency: In 0.7 transparency is limited to the fill. Is there a
reason for not allowing transparency also for the line color attribute ?
In other applications transparency and color values are always bundled,
i.e.  everywhere a color appears there is an associated transparency
value. As a consequence it is then possible to have gradient fills with
e.g. the transparency varying from transparent to opaque.

 The "bundling" would mean to either directly implemented transparency
into the color model or to introduce additional transparency parameters
for the line color and gradients points.

Are there any arguments for or against changing the current implementation
?
Funny you should say this, for I was thinking about this just yesterday... :-).

I say take the time to do it right the first time. We don't want to paint ourselves into a corner. That is, if we proceed with RGB with no transparency, will this decision lead us to a situation where there will be a huge undertaking to integrate the new color scheme (CMYK) and transparency effect. Good design from the ground up is best. Given that the new version should make up for the deficiencies of the current version. And the CMYK color model and transparencies are the only two real things that Skencil 0.6 lacks. It make sense to deal with these two aspects now - at the ground level. Other aspects of the drawing program can be done by the rest of us (those with less Python/C experience), but these two aspect go to the "core" of the application and require more expertice.

This is why I recommend we take our time (for now, it's actually YOUR time ;-) )and not be afraid to make changes to the current code - even at a fundamental level.

CMYK is a better color model (it is what held back Gimp for years. And Skencil, when it comes to high end printing). I would say that we should change the color model (which is easy for me to say; given that I am not doing the work at this point ;-) ).

I feel that this kind of fundamental change will slow things down now, but will yield a big pay-off later (it's more advantageous to go this way).

Just my thoughts...

--J