sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] Request for SKS gossip peers

From: Andreas Thulin
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] Request for SKS gossip peers
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 10:23:13 +0200

My bad, I sent my e-mail to the wrong receiver...

Also, a correction: I'm running sks version 1.1.3.

Please see below.

/A

2012/9/9 Andreas Thulin <address@hidden>
Hi!

I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 (64 bit) on an Asrock Ion 3D (http://www.asrock.com/nettop/overview.asp?Model=ION%203D%20Series#Specifications), 2Gb RAM.

SKS version 1.1
Berkeley version: ? - How do I find out?

I'm running a fastbuild (n=1), which seemed to work for a qouple of minutes, but then it looked like it stopped.

Running
# strace -p processID
first gave a lot of reads, but then has produced nothing but

futex(0x7f0c1db15358, FUTEX_WAIT, 2, NULL

the last 10 hours.

The funny thing is that something writes to the /sks/DB directory every now and then. It seems to happen each time I run strace, but also at other times. I'm thinking maybe the "n=1" thing makes this fastbuild very slow, and the process hence should take several hours still.

What amount of time should I expect this to take?

Running this DB build with some sort of human readable periodic progress indication is of course preferrable.

Thanks all for helpful pointers! :-)

Best regards,
Andreas

2012/9/9 John Clizbe <address@hidden>
Andreas Thulin wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Thanks for good advice, I'll get back on getting a dump immediately. Trouble
> is I tried and failed a couple of times with building the DB, and the sks
> binary doesn't really give any useful feedback on what I'm doing wrong.
>
> Would you say an e-mail to the sks devel sendlist explaining my predicament
> could be one way of getting further in the process?

Most certainly. Most useful data would be:

    Amount of RAM, CPU architecture sometimes matters, CPU speed doesn't.

    OS/Distro and version.

    Versions of SKS and Berkeley DB.

    Was it a fastbuild or a build?

    Did it die immediately or some time later?

Just by way of a quick check, the most common issue that I have seen is that
the SKS process is run as a specific user, eg, debian_sks, and that user does
not own the directory where the databases are being created, eg, /var/lib/sks.

> Best regards,
> Andreas

Good Luck,
John
--

John P. Clizbe                      Inet: John (a) Gingerbear DAWT net
SKS/Enigmail/PGP-EKP                  or: John ( @ ) Enigmail DAWT net

A:"An odd melody / island voices on the winds / surplus of vowels"