spamass-milt-list

Re: latest spam-milter

From: Mike Tancsa
Subject: Re: latest spam-milter
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 20:06:18 -0500

Hmmm, I am unable to reproduce this. I dont have netcat installed, but I was doing it via telnet. Do you have an MSA running?

ns4% telnet 127.0.0.1 smtp
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 ns4.recycle.net ESMTP Sendmail 8.12.6/8.12.6; Tue, 19 Nov 2002 20:01:58 -0500 (EST)
MAIL From: <address@hidden>
250 2.1.0 <address@hidden>... Sender ok
RCPT To: postmaster
250 2.1.5 postmaster... Recipient ok
DATA
354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself
.
250 2.0.0 gAK11mGg081693 Message accepted for delivery
QUIT
221 2.0.0 ns4.recycle.net closing connection
Connection closed by foreign host.
ns4%

and all is well still

        ---Mike

At 04:41 PM 19/11/2002 -0600, Dan Nelson wrote:
In the last episode (Nov 19), Ron Snyder said:
> I seem to remember seeing something (msg id unknown, 0 length email
> check) similar to this when sendmail aborts a check (as it does when
> the sending host is listed in an RBL (we don't have SA doing the RBL
> checks, we have sendmail doing them).

Yeah, but in that case sendmail aborts the message and spamass-milter
never gets to process it completely.  I have been creating 0-byte
messages with

print 'ehlo mymachine\nmail from:<address@hidden>\nrcpt to:<address@hidden>\ndata\n.\nquit\n' |
 nc dan smtp

(replace address@hidden with your own email address, and dan with your milter
server).  That submits a 0-byte message.  Make sure that the netcat
command connects to the machine actually doing the miltering, since if
it has to hop to another server, it'll most likely add a Received:
header, which makes the message more than 0 bytes long (the size
includes headers).

--
        Dan Nelson
        address@hidden