Re: [Xlog-discussion] Appology

From: Karl F. Larsen
Subject: Re: [Xlog-discussion] Appology
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 05:27:50 -0600

      Hi Ben, you DO know a whole lot more about yum than I do.

Ben Coleman wrote:

Karl F. Larsen wrote:
As I indicate on the front page, you can set up you FC4 machine to
retrieve
packages from this repository by running

rpm -i http://nj8j.benshome.net/nj8j-release-1.0.0-1.fc4.noarch.rpm

as root.  This installs nj8j.repo in /etc/yum.repos.d/ and my gpg key in
/etc/pki/rpm-gpg/.

  Why would I need to do what you have above? I didn't do any of that
when I got fftw, hamlib and other RPM's.

Yes, because those are in the standard Fedora yum repositories (Base, Updates,
and Extras) that the yum package points to by default.  Mine is a
'third-party' repository.  For yum to know about it, the appropriate
configuration has to be installed.  I think I've made this pretty easy (and
actually, this method is fairly standard among sites providing third-party
repositories.  I should know, because I actively stole the idea from them
<grin>).

I was not aware of the Fedora or Red Hat sponsored sites. These are what I used and they worked so good. I think we want to put xlog and gmfsk in the Extras repo along with hamlib. Ben that would mean that a Ham who wants to go digital running Fedora Core x software can just yum the two basic applications and they will bring with them the required support and in minutes you can get on the air.

To that end I will go to the Red Hat web page and see if I can learn what it takes to offer an RPM to yum.

--
Karl Larsen, aka K5DI
Linux user since 1994 70 years old and still having fun