Re: [aspell-devel] Thoughts on using aspell for Indian language checking

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: Re: [aspell-devel] Thoughts on using aspell for Indian language checking
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 03:42:05 -0700 (MST)

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006, Gora Mohanty wrote:

On Fri, 2006-11-17 at 00:18 -0700, Kevin Atkinson wrote:
On Thu, 16 Nov 2006, Ethan Bradford wrote:

The patch was against 0.60.4.

I don't really have an opinion on your design questions, except a question
of my own: why do you want the extra information?  I wanted to get the
scores out so that I could (1) filter on them and (2) combine them with
other information (frequency information from another source) to better sort
the result list.

I would like to know that too.

I think that at least the word score and soundslike score should be
available. I am not so sure about the scores after each processing
step. The reason that I wanted them in the first place was that
suggestions for Hindi seemed to get better if I turned off
fine_tune_score(). However, at the moment this needs to be tested
in more quantitative terms.

Then I suggest you do what I do. Hack suggest.cpp and try both versions. Rather than go through the trouble of exporting Aspell internals.

I want to be careful about exposing too much of Aspell internals since
they are subject to change.

I am in two minds here. I see your point about not arbitrarily opening
up everything. However, I would guess that anyone mucking around with
testing probably wants to get their hands dirty. Would putting access
to aspell internal details in another header file, say aspell_testing.h
be an acceptable alternative? People could then be warned that the
interface to aspell_testing.h was subject to change.

If you just want to do this for testing I think going through the trouble of designing an API to export Aspell internals is an overkill. You should do what I do and modify Aspell directly. If you need more information on what is going on just print it to stdout. You will notice that there is a "DEBUG_SUGGESTION" macro which if defined outputs some useful info.