[AUCTeX-devel] Re: Fontifying of titles...

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Fontifying of titles...
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 11:40:20 +0200

* Reiner Steib (2005-04-09) writes:

> On Sat, Apr 09 2005, Ralf Angeli wrote:
>
>> * Reiner Steib (2005-04-09) writes:
>>>
>>> They wouldn't have to.  We should rather consider
>>> `font-latex-title-N-face' (N < MAX) as internal faces not intended to
>>> be customized by the user.  Customizing `font-latex-title-fontify'
>>> and/or `font-latex-title-MAX-face' should be sufficient for the vast
>>> majority.
>>
>> Yes, probably.  Are you sure this will work with XEmacs?
>
> At least the customizable factor (`font-latex-title-fontify') should
> work.

Yes, but the inheritance should work as well if we want to suggest
customizing only the "base face".

>> It does not support :inherit in face definitions.  But maybe we
>> could code around that by means of `set-face-parent'.
>
> Probably you are more familiar with this (I didn't follow the
> font-latex related discussions on xemacs-beta closely).  I don't even
> have XEmacs here at home to look at the doc string of
> `set-face-parent'.

:inherit was not a topic in the discussions I participated.  I saw a
post a while back of somebody porting it to XEmacs but don't know if
it was checked in.  At least in XEmacs 21.4.17 I could not find it and
doubt that it will make it to the 21.4 series.  So we cannot rely on
it being present.

>> While I did not implement this four-level scheme, I like it somewhat
>> because of that.  And I am a bit concerned about adding even more
>> complexity to the code.
>
> Changing the count in `dotimes' isn't really adding complexity to the
> code in my book.  :-)

That's why I put it into perspective in the next sentence. (c:

>> In the case at hand it would not be such a big deal because the
>> faces are generated anyway; it is just that feeling of "Do we really
>> need this many faces?".
>
>>From a user's point of view they can be considered as "internal",
> (usually) not intended to be customized.

Well, yes.  But you cannot really hide faces from a user.  Once he is
doing `M-x customize-apropos RET font-latex RET' he'll be presented
by the full glory of titling faces.  Not to mention XEmacs users in
case we cannot get inheritance to work.

>>> Evaluating defface doesn't change already defined faces.  (The
>>> current code doesn't give any hint that changing this variable
>>> doesn't take immediate effect.)
>>
>> Could we work with `set-face-attribute' or something like this?
>
> Probably.  I didn't try it yet.
>
> Did you actually try my patch?

Yes, right after you asked. (c;

> Any problems with the resulting
> display?  Maybe with an increased scale for the \chapter face?

Here are two screenshots showing the looks with and without your
patch: