[AUCTeX-devel] Re: Running out of time...

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Running out of time...
Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 13:15:02 +0200

* David Kastrup (2005-05-02) writes:

> Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> * David Kastrup (2005-05-01) writes:

>>> WHAT?!?
>>>
>>> Taking a look at the XEmacs in Ubuntu, I see that xemacs-packages is
>>> _before_ site-packages in the search order.
>>>
>>> What idiocy is that?  This is completely insane.  Whoever at Debian is
>>> responsible for that ought to be shot.  XEmacs in Fedora does not have
>>> this sick, sick load order.  Seems to be a Debian special.
>>
>> Yep.  It seems that this was done at configuration time.  At least
>> this is what the ./configure string shown in `M-x report-xemacs-bug
>> RET' suggests.
>
> Did you send the report off to Debian then?

I needed some time to look for already filed bug reports on this
matter and for finding a suitable reference in XEmacs' Lispref manual.
You can find my additions to a formerly filed report at
<URL:http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=151900>.

>> At least I now get a popup buffer after starting XEmacs with `xemacs
>> -q -no-site-file -l auctex-setup.el' telling me this:
>
> Uh, auctex-setup.el?

That's the file I mentioned earlier which activates AUCTeX and does
nothing else.  Next time I'll use `emacs -q -no-site-file -eval
"(require 'tex-site)"'.

>> (1) (warning/warning) Autoload error in:
>> /usr/share/xemacs21/site-packages/lisp/auctex/auto-autoloads:
>>      Symbol's value as variable is void: TeX-fold-keymap
>
> Hmpf.  What are we doing with that?  Doc string formatting or what?
> If that is the case, maybe one has to do a doc-string-less automode
> cookie, like I did with the toolbarx-install or so.

I don't see how this is related to the doc string.  auto-autoloads.el
contains the whole `define-minor-mode' call which chokes on the
variable used for the keymap.  I don't know if this is a common
problem on XEmacs but grepping through the xemacs-packages directory
on my system I found three spots where including the
`define-minor-mode' call is inhibited.  Here is one:

,----[ diff-mode.el.gz ]
`----