Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Support for SyncTeX

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Support for SyncTeX
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 19:20:15 +0200

* Artemio Gonzalez Lopez (2008-07-26) writes:

> Unfortunately, I know next to nothing about TeXworks (I just got it a
> couple of days ago and have tried it only occasionally).

I've just checked the sources and it looks like the synchronization
process is hard-coded to call the editor part of TeXworks:

,----[
http://code.google.com/p/texworks/source/browse/trunk/src/PDFDocument.cpp ]
| void PDFDocument::syncClick(int pageIndex, const QPointF& pos)
| {
| [...]
|                         TeXDocument::openDocument(QFileInfo(curDir,
filename).canonicalFilePath(), synctex_node_line(node));
`----

> On the other
> hand, for the Mac OS X community it would be much better to try to
> make synctex work with the most popular pdf viewer which right now
> supports inverse search and is being actively developed, namely Skim.

Skim is highly underdocumented when it comes to forward and inverse
search.  And since I don't have a Mac, it would be quite difficult to
support it.  Actually I am not interested in getting OS X because I'd
like to avoid non-free systems if possible.

In addition the people using or developing for Emacs on the Mac haven't
been interested in making AUCTeX fit for the Mac out of the box.  If
that would be the case we'd probably have a customization scheme for the
Mac by now which you could switch on in your init file.

> Right now I am successfully using pdfsync with Emacs/auctex and Skim.
> On the auctex side, what I do is use the following entry in TeX Output
> View Style:
>
> ("^pdf$" "." "/Users/artemio/Applications/Skim.app/Contents/
> SharedSupport/displayline %n %o %b")
>
> (displayline is just a small command-line utility included in Skim).

Is there a way to call `displayline' without having to provide an
absolute path specific to a certain user?