[AUCTeX-devel] Re: Support for SyncTeX

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Support for SyncTeX
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 22:43:03 +0200

* Ralf Angeli (2008-07-06) writes:

> * David Kastrup (2008-07-06) writes:
>
>> Personally, I would have considered it more userfriendly if SyncTeX was
>> basically a configuration option of Source Specials mode (call it Source
>> Correlation mode if you need to), and probably the default for
>> PDF+SourceSpecial.  I don't think that there is much sense in using both
>> Source Special and SyncTeX at once.
>
> Me neither.  I think, hiding the technical details from the user as you
> propose is a good idea and would be in line with how AUCTeX deals with
> other features of TeX engines.

I've implemented it like this.  There is still no support for inverse
search with SyncTeX, i.e. passing the respective options to the viewer.

In `TeX-source-correlate-determine-method' there is a test to determine
if the TeX engine supports SyncTeX.  This basically calls `latex --help'
and searches for the option in the output.  I'm not sure if this is the
best way to do something like this.  So, if somebody has a better idea,
feel free to propose it.