Re: [AUCTeX-devel] bug in auctex highlighting

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] bug in auctex highlighting
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 20:25:53 +0200

* Ralf Hemmecke (2010-05-22) writes:

> OK, seems that I have to read much more to understand better how one
> code part is connected to others and how they play together with font-lock.
>
> Well, all I want was to have proper highlighting inside some
>
> \begin{chunk}{CHUNKNAME}
> \end{chunk}
>
> environments according to the programming language that lives inside the
> chunk and now I am already trying to turn auctex upside down. And that
> will probably only solve one half of my problem.

A few years ago I wrote a function for
`font-lock-fontify-region-function' which would skip verbatim stuff
completely, but I threw it away again because I felt the result was
unsatisfying.  You'd get no font locking at all and still only had the
LaTeX-specific editing commands (instead of the commands for the
respective language) in the respective region.

So, font locking is only half of the story because you will likely also
want editing support for the respective language.  And with that in mind
you are close to the realm of multiple major modes per buffer.  (Not
that I am a big fan of that.)

> PS: Is auctex changing in the near future from CVS to a more modern
> DVCS, like for example git?

At least I don't have plans to change the revision control system.