[AUCTeX-devel] CVS --> GIT

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] CVS --> GIT
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 20:56:08 +0200

>> PS: Is auctex changing in the near future from CVS to a more modern
>> DVCS, like for example git?
>
> At least I don't have plans to change the revision control system.

OK, it's certainly up to the auctex developers to decide, but (although
"git cvsimport" does not work for auctex) I've already produced a git
repo for auctex and for reftex (with complete history). (I can't work
with cvs anymore.) I'll upload them to github when I have a better
internet connection. (Still, if someone could find out about the missing
"account" --> "Name" translations that I've asked for here...
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/auctex-devel/2010-05/msg00014.html
... it would make the CVS-->GIT translation more correct.)

Unfortunately, sometimes there are changes to a file (with a commit
message) followed by a change to the ChangeLog file (without log
message) that should actually live in the same patchset but due to
different log messages are not recognized as belonging to the same
changeset.

Anyway, it's not a big deal to change from cvs to git.
And as far as I understand this
http://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/UsingGit#git-cvsserver-pserver-compatibility
savannah offers also cvs access to the git repo. So why wait?

But, of course, the project owners should decide. I can only offer help
in the transition.