Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Mirror of AUCTeX CVS repository for a recent version

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Mirror of AUCTeX CVS repository for a recent version control system
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 10:36:55 +0100

Dirk Ullrich <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Dirk,

> the migration of AUCTeX to a recent version control system (and its
> import into GNU Emacs' BZR repository) seems to stall.

The migration to a modern VCS was delayed because Stefan Monnier's
suggestion to put AUCTeX into emacs' elpa branch only.  I like the
suggestion, but I'm not really a help in migrating it there due to
AUCTeX complex build process.

Now, Emacs' elpa branch will be migrated to Git due to a longstanding
bug in bzr.  So things are quite in a flux.  Not sure if/when there will
be a final decision and an actual migration...

> So here is a more modest wish. Would it be possible to set up a
> read-only mirror of the CVS repository using anything more modern than
> CVS (like Git, Mercurial, Bazaar, ... even Subversion would be an
> improvement)?

I already created scripts for migrating the CVS repository to either Git
or bzr.  But those are for one-shot migrations, not for incremental
updates thereafter.  That requires some more infrastructure.

> I'm asking since my attempts to create such a mirror by myself all
> failed and I did not found such a mirror on the web that is uptodate.

If you want, I can send you the conversion scripts.  Maybe you can add
the incremental updates on top.  Since the emacs elpa branch is
switching to Git, I think we should use that, too.

A good thing about a read-only mirror is that we could test the
conversion some time without it being important if the conversion was
incorrect.