Re: [AUCTeX-devel] logs of make with emacs 21 and xemacs (was Re: Auto i

From: Mosè Giordano
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] logs of make with emacs 21 and xemacs (was Re: Auto insertion of ampersands)
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2014 16:44:41 +0200

> (1) On emacs 21.4 or xemacs 21.4.22, put the point on the line with a
> sole ampersand in the following code in the buffer of latex mode.
> \begin{tabular}{lcr}
>   a & b & c \\
>   &
> \end{tabular}
> (2) Type TAB.  Then it signals an error 'Wrong type argument:
> number-or-marker-p, "0 occurrences"'. (Xemacs emits a bit different
> message, "number-char-or-marker-p" instead of "number-or-marker-p",
> which I assume essentially the same.)
>
> The reason of the error seems to be the return value of the function
> how-many.  Both emacs 21 and xemacs returns the string that reports the
> number of the occurrence, not the number itself.

I redefined `TeX-how-many' to be equal to `how-many' in Emacs >= 22,
and added a workaround to make `TeX-how-many' return a number in
XEmacs and Emacs 21.  Thank you.

> In addition, xemacs does not seem to accept 'min-colors' in the defface.
> Xemacs reports the following warnings in the *Warnings* buffer when
> opening an ordinary latex file.
>
> (1) (warning/warning) Unknown req `min-colors' with options `(88)'
>
> (2) (warning/warning) Unknown req `min-colors' with options `(88)'
>
> (3) (warning/warning) Unknown req `min-colors' with options `(16)'
>
> (4) (warning/warning) Unknown req `min-colors' with options `(16)'
>
> (5) (warning/warning) Unknown req `min-colors' with options `(8)'
>
> (6) (warning/warning) Unknown req `min-colors' with options `(16)'

I can reproduce this in XEmacs too.  Do you mean that this doesn't
happen with Emacs 21.4?  Is "*TeX Help*" buffer colored as it should
be in Emacs >= 22?  Since `propertize' doesn't seem to have effect in
XEmacs, I'm thinking about setting `TeX-error-description-*' faces to
nil there, but I need to know whether we should do the same in Emacs
21 or not.

> P.S. I just noticed that xemacs raises another error "Wrong number of
> arguments: #<subr local-variable-p>, 1" every time I open a tex file,
> once after AUCTeX is activated.

I added `(current-buffer)' to all `local-variable-p' calls with a
single argument.