Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Xemacs+newest git version:

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Xemacs+newest git version:
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2014 18:14:37 +0200

>> "Mos" == Mos  <Mos> writes:

[snip]

   > `TeX-source-correlate-method' set to `auto' let
   > `TeX-source-correlate-determine-method' choose the right method and
   > this function, unchanged since 2012-08-14 (checked with git blame),
   > just verify whether `latex --help' output has a `-synctex' entry or
   > not.  We have the same version of TeX Live, why
   > `TeX-source-correlate-determine-method' should return different
   > methods?  Are you really sure `M-:
   > (TeX-source-correlate-determine-method) RET' returns `source-specials'
   > for you, in DVI mode?

It returns for the patched 11.87 version indeed
`source-specials'

In the git version it returns
`synctex'

Which is consistent with the behavior I observed when I run latex.

   > I insist, it should have been preserved :-)

   > Do you customize `TeX-source-correlate-method' in your init file?  If
   > you leave the default value in both AUCTeX 11.87 and git version, you
   > should get the desired result.

Good news.

I did: I used customize to set
 `TeX-source-correlate-method' to `auto'

Which is anyhow the default value.

Again with this setting the patched version behaved a expected but the
the git version behaved odd.

Once I deleted the line in my custom-init.el file (where customize
options are saved) and restart xemacs then everything is fine. (Of
course `TeX-source-correlate-method' is still set to `auto' as before!!!)

So I think somewhere there is a bug and  the behavior of customize is
bizarre to say the least, this behavior makes the whole customize
approach absurd.

I still don't understand why strictly speaking autex-git is not
backwards compatible, since I did not change anything in my setting.

Uwe