Re: [AUCTeX-devel] modified

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] modified
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2016 11:35:12 +0200

Uwe Brauer <address@hidden> writes:

> In addition you can configure Emacs so that the @code{^} and @code{_}
> in sub and superscripts are not displayed. To enable that feature you
> have to set the variable @code{font-latex-fontify-script} to
> ‘invisible’.
>

> So there is *no* double space between after «displayed.»
>
> I use fill-paragraph and no double space is added.!
>
> Now worse, I add a double space and set sentence-end-double-space to
> nil, now fill-paragraph will delete the double space, which is what
> happened. So there seems no easy way to turn back.
>
> That is a paragraph with double space sentence ending will be refilled
> and the double space is deleted if sentence-end-double-space is nil,
> but if sentence-end-double-space is t, the paragraph-fill function
> will not add an additional space.
>
> Is there anyway to have such a feature?

No, and this is the exactly right behavior.  It cannot simply add double
spaces after each dot because it cannot distinguish an abbrev. from a
real sentence end.  See, "abbrev." is just an abbreviation and the dot
is not the end of the sentence.  This is exactly the whole purpose of
the double-space sentence end: tell the editor what is a real sentence
end and what's just an abbreviation inside a sentence.