Re: [avrdude-dev] optional hash mark progress indicator

From: Brian Dean
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] optional hash mark progress indicator
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 21:18:05 -0400

On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 11:06:21AM +1200, Alex Shepherd wrote:

> If the -h is not specified it defaults to the numeric progress
> indicator with updates every 16 bytes. This is independent of the
> verbose setting as I couldn't figure out how the previous numeric
> indication was being enabled without a -v and yet the code only did
> it if verbose was enabled - tricky :(

Look in the main() routine, you'll see the global variable 'verbose'
initialized to 0 (off).  Later, in the AVR write functions, the
progress code is only enabled if verbose > 0.  The -v option
increments the verbosity level by 1 each time it is specified.

Used to be that the progress was always printed.  I believe that it
was found that this slowed down the Windows version significantly due
to its slow console printing routine.  Thus, to help Windows folks,
the progress was only enabled if verbose output was selected.

-Brian
--
Brian Dean
address@hidden