Re: [avrdude-dev] optional hash mark progress indicator

From: Brian Dean
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] optional hash mark progress indicator
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 17:05:01 -0400

On Sat, Jul 26, 2003 at 08:53:17AM +1200, Alex Shepherd wrote:

> > when avr_write is called it's called with ..., 1) where the
> > last one is
> > verbose (local variable).
> >
> > from avr.h
> > int avr_write(PROGRAMMER * pgm, AVRPART * p, char * memtype,
> > int size,
> >               int verbose);
>
> Thanks - I knew there was something else going on that wasn't obvious.

Ah ... now I see why there is a bit of confusion here.  It is because
'verbose' is not being used consistantly.  The progress indicator
within 'avr_write()' is used for parallel port type programmers, while
there is also an identical one coded that the stk500 programmer code
displays.  The one within the stk500.c page write routine is
controlled by the global variable 'verbose', while the one inside
'avr_write()' is controlled by the local 'verbose' variable.  It's
been so long since I've used a parallel port connected programmer,
that I was unaware of this inconsistancy.

-Brian