Re: [avrdude-dev] Re: Avrdude GUI and Avr Studio Plugin

From: uracolix
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Re: Avrdude GUI and Avr Studio Plugin
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 21:00:41 +0200

Am Dienstag, 11. Mai 2010 20:43:40 schrieb Weddington, Eric:

> > > That's good to know. :-) Thanks for the recommendation.
> >
> > Alas, it looks like it's C++ (only).  That would mean to convert
> > AVRDUDE into C++.  Not a bad thing as such (it would allow to
> > implement a lot of things much cleaner), but another truckload of
> > work.
>
> Bummer. We don't need another truckload of work.

From my experience with XML it is a long way to go from the idea
"Yeah, we use XML" until a clean and working XSD and a set of
reliable style sheets. I mean, when it works, it is pretty generic,
thats for sure.

Before avrdude is linked with some XML library (which could also add plattform
issues as I saw in another project) I would suggest a basic step to convert a
XML file to the current avrdude.conf (e.g. generating avrdude.conf from
a "golden" XML Source file).

Cheers, Axel

PS: Sometimes there is also the insight that XML does not help at all,
in uracoli I replaced the cool and stylish XSL transorm for *.aps file
generation by a simple text pattern approach, because people don't need to
extra install the XML package.