Re: [avrdude-dev] ATMega2560 and stk500

From: Alan Horstmann
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] ATMega2560 and stk500
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 12:39:24 +0000

On Wednesday 22 January 2014 10:48, Joerg Wunsch wrote:
> As Alan Horstmann wrote:
> > but linking fails:
> > gcc -Wall -Wno-pointer-sign -g -O2   -o avrdude avrdude-main.o
> > avrdude-term.o ./libavrdude.a  -lusb    -lelf -lpthread -lm -lreadline
> > -lncurses
> > ./libavrdude.a(libavrdude_a-fileio.o): In function `elf2b':
> > /home/alan/Programming/Arduino/Toolchain/CLI-build-tools/avr-dude/avrdude
> >-6.0.1/fileio.c:957: undefined reference to `elf_getshdrstrndx'
> > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> I just changed the check in configure.ac from elf_begin() to
> elf_getshdrstrndx().  Please give the SVN version a try.  If there's a
> too old version of libelf only present, it should now correctly omit
> it from the build.

Yes that seems to be effective.  Actually, my version of autoconf is too old
to run successfully so I fixed-up configure manually (replacing every
'elf_begin' with 'elf_getshdrstrndx') which rejected libelf OK and allowed
the build to complete.

> > There didn't seem to be a way of disabling the use of libelf via
> > configure option?
>
> Each extra switch is extra work, requires testing etc.  As most people
> want all of the features they could possibly get, I rather tend to
> auto-detect everything that is around.
>
> You could always tweak ac_cfg.h after configure ran, if you really
> want to disable a feature that has been positively probed by
> configure.

I tried that first, and it also did the trick OK.

So indeed that all looks fine - thanks for your efforts,

Alan