Re: [avrdude-dev] [bug #40831] LUFA AVRISP-MKII fails with avrdude 6.0.1

From: Colin O'Flynn
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] [bug #40831] LUFA AVRISP-MKII fails with avrdude 6.0.1
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2014 15:06:07 -0300

> I would avoid that kind of hackery if possible.

Ha - I'll I've got is hacked on ideas unfortunately ;-) But if there's some
underlying fix that would make sense to apply.

As a counterpoint - one could argue the usb drain command is itself a hack,
as there shouldn't be extra data we drain away from the endpoint. Tools that
require the drain to operate are probably not implementing the protocol
correctly, as they aren't reading all the data from the endpoint. Or the USB
tool itself is in some incorrect state and sending data at the wrong time.

I've got a USB hardware analyzer here so will take a moment to see if I can
see anything causing it, although I seem to recall a message from Dean a
while back about going down that rabbit hole, and ending up at a fairly low
level. If it's a bug in libusb or something it would be nice to fix, but
then I don't know how long it would take to deploy to users?

I'll try to make a hex for the at90usb1287 too later that you can use. I'm
95% sure you don't need a target, just attempting to sign onto the AVR-ISP
MKII would cause the error. Won't have a change to look at that until later
today though my time (GMT-4) so don't hold out too much, as something else
might come up...

I guess we've had this issue for several years already, so presumably nobody
is in too big a rush!

Regards,

  -Colin O'Flynn