Re: [linuxiran] FreeCraft gone, what's next?

From: Aryan Ameri
Subject: Re: [linuxiran] FreeCraft gone, what's next?
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 21:44:36 +0300

On Tuesday 24 June 2003 17:34, Hooman Baradaran wrote:
> > In the US judical system, it doesn't matter if you are right or
> > wrong. That system awards the side with more money, and the fact
> > is, in this case this was Blizzard.
>
> That is exactly what I'm saying. Except a few projects that are being
> sponsored by big companies do you know a project that does have
> money?

Yes, MySQL is owned by MySQL AB, a small profitable sweedish company.
Qt is owned by Trolltech, a small profitable norwegian copamy.
ReiserFS is sponsored by SuSE, which still doesn't apply as a big
company.

And there are also great number other example projects. Like the kernel
hacker guy, which is now an employee of TiVo. Or a couple other hackers
which found themselves with good offerings from Sharp.

Remember, that projects are not organizations, they do not need to have
money. Their developers however, need to have money, in order to pay
bills etc. And if some hacker's job is interesting, they usually find
themselves, employed or sponsored by a company which depends on his
job. Or they are able to make money, out of cunsulting or customer
support, which they provide for their software/project.

This is how usually open source developers, find money.

> so here we go
> better games are coming from the source of a clone that I got sick of
> playing!

Good! This is FLOSS (Free/Libre/Open Source Software) power.

Cheers

--
/* "It only takes 20 years for a liberal to become a
conservative without changing a single idea."