Re: [linuxiran] FreeCraft gone, what's next?

From: Hooman Baradaran
Subject: Re: [linuxiran] FreeCraft gone, what's next?
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 10:34:37 -0400

> In the US judical system, it doesn't matter if you are right or wrong.
> That system awards the side with more money, and the fact is, in this
> case this was Blizzard.

That is exactly what I'm saying. Except a few projects that are being
sponsored by big companies do you know a project that does have money?

I read the articles again and all Blizzard has done is asked them so shut the
project down, that's all. And they have shut it down without any talks at
all. They could just contact Blizzard and settle this without lawyers. But
they freaked out.

> If the problem was only the name, as Zoup mentions, they should have
> only changed it and continue working. In the KDE 2.x days, one of
> KOffice applications was called KIllustrator. Adobe, sued KDE, claiming
> that the word Illustrator is it's registered tradmark. The KDE guys had
> to change the name to Kivio.

Maybe 50% of the open source games out there are clones like Quake Forge
(which I think is gone too).

All that said, looks like I just proved myself wrong!! As I said I didn't like
clones anyway specially those that need the game CDs because I have a Win
98/XP/Mandrake triple boot and I could play them in Win (if I wanted too).
Now I checked for the FreeCraft articles again I learned that the (remaining)
developers are making a new game and other people are using the code to make
another game (which has different characters in addition to different name)
so here we go better games are coming from the source of a clone that I got
sick of playing!

--
Hooman Baradaran
address@hidden