Re: [linuxiran] FreeCraft gone, what's next?

From: Aryan Ameri
Subject: Re: [linuxiran] FreeCraft gone, what's next?
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 19:34:55 +0300

On Monday 23 June 2003 01:07, Hooman Baradaran wrote:
> On Sunday June 22 2003 7:04 am, Zoup wrote:
> > emm ... you know ? free craft use " directly " blizzard ( starcraft
> > ) data ( such as unit's , graphics and music ) :) we know they are
> > Not under GPL ! :) so it is not something that can happend on Samba
> > or Wine :) i hope !
>
> Yes, but there was also this thing called FreeCraft MP or something
> and I used that. I had some maps, music and stuff to get started
> with. The graphic sucked but I had fun with the multiplayer and I was
> ok.

Don't get sarcastic Hooman, free software will never die. No where in
the world. Not in north america, not in europe, and no where else.

I don't know about FreeCraft, cause I never heard of it. But if it was
free software (published under a free software license) and if it was
legal (which Zoup says it wasn't), then you can safely put it somewhere
on the web, and others may use it. If enough people are interested in
something, then the project will continue, and people will help
develo/test/debug it.

Free software licenses, are irrevocable and perpetual. They will stay
with you forever, and no one can take them from you. (Unless of course,
they prove to be illegal).

And those guys which always criticize the US government, for not
accepting Open Source with open arms, should be reminded of some fact.
The US government is a major sponsor of many free software projects.
BSD was developed (initialy) by Departmant of Defence (DoD) request.
TCP/IP was developed by DoD. DoD is sponsoring the development of
ReiserFS. Even now they are sponoring the development of NetBSD (Which
is a canadian project).

I am not pro-american. Those who know me, know that I am far from such a
thing, (remember my previous sig?). And I do not agree with many
american policies. But history should not be changed, and facts should
not be dismissed, the US government has helped develop technologies,
and has Open Sourced them, more than any other government in the world.

Cheers

--
/* "It only takes 20 years for a liberal to become a
conservative without changing a single idea."