Re: [linuxiran] : Translating GPL [was:redhat manuals translation]

From: Aryan Ameri
Subject: Re: [linuxiran] : Translating GPL [was:redhat manuals translation]
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 19:57:13 +0300

On Sunday 22 June 2003 23:09, Arash Zeini wrote:

> > > but there is *no* law about computer's here ! :)
> > > what can we say about free software so ? :)
> > > i guess its just good for people to read and know it :)
> >
> > GPL is not a computer law. It is a Copyright law. And Iran does
> > have a Copyright Law ( Hefazate az hoghooghe manavi nasherin va
> > nevisandegan). Although Iran has not signed the international
> > copyright law (i.e you can copy windows), but it does have a
> > domestic copyright law (i.e you can not republish a farsi book, you
> > will be jailed).
> >
> > Currently software which is published in Iran (like Zar Negar) is
> > protected by the Iranian Copyright law. That is the reason that if
> > you go to Paytakht, or Reza, Persian softwares are so expensive.
> > Because they are covered by Copyright, and copying them is illegal,
> > according to Iranian law.
> >
> > So if we want Iranian free software projects to also be covered by
> > GPL, then we should translate GPL, in a legal way. Then according
> > to Iranian Copyright law, it will be enforceable.
>
> It will be enforceable, but AFAIR a translaated GPL is not GPL
> itself! I.e. in order to have GPL applied to your software you can
> only use the English version, this would be at least the view of FSF.
> And we verfied once that you can generally enforce these kind of
> license in Iran as well.

OK, I don't get this part. I am a bit confused on this whole thing.

I know that translating GPL would turn it into something other than GPL,
and I know the reasons that the FSF doesn't accept GPL translations.
but, on the other hand:

Let's say I am company in Iran, and I have developed a software and want
to release it under GPL, in Iran, and want it to be enforceable. If I
just say that this programm is licensed under GPL, and then attach a
copy of "English GPL" with my program, then would that be sufficent for
Iranian law?

Let's assume that over a case I (the company) go to court. In the court,
can I reffer to the English GPL? Does the court recognize an english
copyright license?

If no (which I assume is the case) then I have to translate GPL. And if
I do so, then it won't be GPL anymore.

I'm a bit confused about this.

Cheers
--
/* "It only takes 20 years for a liberal to become a
conservative without changing a single idea."