Re: [linuxiran] : Translating GPL [was:redhat manuals translation]

From: Aryan Ameri
Subject: Re: [linuxiran] : Translating GPL [was:redhat manuals translation]
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 21:50:34 +0300

On Sunday 22 June 2003 14:05, Zoup wrote:
> On Sunday 22 June 2003 21:15, Arash Zeini wrote:
> > On Sunday 22 June 2003 09:01, Zoup wrote:
> >
> > Great idea! I am not aware of any translations.
>
> i guess its what we need ! ;) make iranian programmers known GPL :)
> everyone think its free ( rayegan ) and not Free ( azad ! ) . good
> step i think :)

It is a good step. And it ceratinly is usefull, however, remember that
the FSF does not officially recognize translations of GPL because they
say it is very tricky and that they can not verify the translations.
However they put the translations on their website, without taking any
respnsibility as to what the translation contains.

Also remember that translating GPL is not programmer's job. It is a
license, it has legal consequenses. Who ever translates it should be
very familiar with both, software programming, and law. Translating it
is the job of a programmer and a lawyer.

If you ever get serious about translating GNU GPL, then make sure to sit
beside one (or two) lawyers(s). Iranian free software projects might
need to include a copy of your translation of GPL with their software,
and that means that it should be legaly 'right'.

A year ago, it also came to my mind to translate GPL, but then I
realized that I should pay a lawyer, and I didn't like the idea !!

Cheers

--
/* You can always count on Americans to do the
right thing; - after they've tried everything else.