Re: [linuxiran] : redhat manuals translation,

From: Aryan Ameri
Subject: Re: [linuxiran] : redhat manuals translation,
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 11:49:28 +0300

On Sunday 22 June 2003 07:51, Kaveh wrote:

> Dear Aryan,
> Are those books you mentioned free to tranlate?
>
> The redhat manuals are probably under  Open
> Publication License and we can translate them freely,
>
> Aryan and Redhat Lover ;),

Kaveh, this has nothing to do with me and RedHat. If Abbas had suggested
to translate SuSE or Mandrake or Debian manuals, I would have reacted
the same. There is no use in translating something, that will be out of
date and useless, in a couple of months time. Not to mention that
RedHat manuals are only deal with one specific distro; what is the use
of translating something that specific, when what is really needed in
the market is general underestanding of Linux. People in Iran, are
hungrily looking for a good Linux book. If you want to give them
something good, then O'Reilly is the way to go.

Those familiar with English publication, know that O'Reilly books serve
as a bible when it comes to Unix, Linux, and GNU tools. Tim O'Reilly
founder and CEO or O'Reilly and Associates, is a Open Source advocate
himself. He is one of the founders of Open Source initiative, along
with Eric Raymond and Bruce Perens.

Those two books that I mentioned are not free. You have to buy them, for
something like $30. However I don't underestand what you mena by free
to translate, because O'Reilly asks for nothing if you decide to
translate their book. So, yes you shall buy it for $30. If you are
willing to spend weeks of your time, translating something, but do not
want to spend $30 in the process, then I am afraid I don't underestand
you at all.

Wanna translate RedHat 9 manuals? go ahead. However when in September,
the next version of RedHat comes out, and no one will ever take a look
at your hard work, then I can imagine your face.

If I want to translate something, I would go with something that at
leats lasts a couple of years, and covers everything in general.  I
would love to be proved wrong.

Cheers

--
/* You can always count on Americans to do the
right thing; - after they've tried everything else.