Re: [linuxiran] : Translating GPL [was:redhat manuals translation]

From: Arash Zeini
Subject: Re: [linuxiran] : Translating GPL [was:redhat manuals translation]
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 00:39:44 +0430

On Sunday 22 June 2003 23:39, Aryan Ameri wrote:

> On Sunday 22 June 2003 14:25, Zoup wrote:
> > > Also remember that translating GPL is not programmer's job. It is a
> > > license, it has legal consequenses. Who ever translates it should
> > > be very familiar with both, software programming, and law.
> > > Translating it is the job of a programmer and a lawyer.
> > >
> > > If you ever get serious about translating GNU GPL, then make sure
> > > to sit beside one (or two) lawyers(s). Iranian free software
> > > projects might need to include a copy of your translation of GPL
> > > with their software, and that means that it should be legaly
> > > 'right'.
> > >
> > > A year ago, it also came to my mind to translate GPL, but then I
> > > realized that I should pay a lawyer, and I didn't like the idea !!
> > >
> > > Cheers
> >
> > but there is *no* law about computer's here ! :)
> > what can we say about free software so ? :)
> > i guess its just good for people to read and know it :)
>
> GPL is not a computer law. It is a Copyright law. And Iran does have a
> Copyright Law ( Hefazate az hoghooghe manavi nasherin va nevisandegan).
> Although Iran has not signed the international copyright law (i.e you
> can copy windows), but it does have a domestic copyright law (i.e you
> can not republish a farsi book, you will be jailed).
>
> Currently software which is published in Iran (like Zar Negar) is
> protected by the Iranian Copyright law. That is the reason that if you
> go to Paytakht, or Reza, Persian softwares are so expensive. Because
> they are covered by Copyright, and copying them is illegal, according
> to Iranian law.
>
> So if we want Iranian free software projects to also be covered by GPL,
> then we should translate GPL, in a legal way. Then according to Iranian
> Copyright law, it will be enforceable.

It will be enforceable, but AFAIR a translaated GPL is not GPL itself! I.e. in
order to have GPL applied to your software you can only use the English
version, this would be at least the view of FSF. And we verfied once that you
can generally enforce these kind of license in Iran as well.

The translation would help spreading the word, I think it won't resolve any
legal conflict.

--
The FarsiKDE Project
www.farsikde.org