Re: [linuxiran] Crossover Office Wanted!

From: Aryan Ameri
Subject: Re: [linuxiran] Crossover Office Wanted!
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 11:22:00 +0200

On Saturday 22 November 2003 00:45, Arash Partow wrote:
> Aryan rather than just blabbling on about nothing and just typing
> away... try and think before you write:
>
> please go here:  http://www.winehq.com/site/license
>
>  oh and also read my signature :D

OK a bit of history, cause it seems you are not familiar with wine at
all.

Wine was under a BSD license, untill feburary 2002. Then (with a vote
between the developers) they changed the license to Lesser GPL (LGPL),
because they thought there were people and companies (namely Corel)
which were thinking of hijacking wine. So they changed it to LGPL,
which means you can't hijack the code, but still, you can make
proprietary linkings, and can make a proprietary product on top of the
LGPL code. All you have to do is make the changes you have done to the
LGPL code, under LGPL, but you can publish your own product (which is
linked with LGPL code) under any license (i.e proprietary)

Read

http://www.winehq.com/hypermail/wine-devel/2002/02/0089.html

> Be one who knows what they don't know,
> Instead of being one who knows not what they don't know,
> Thinking they know everything about all things.
> http://www.partow.net

Yeah, say what ever you want. I have been a member of many wine mailing
lists (including wine-license), for nearly 2 years. I guess I know what
I am talking about