bontz-team

[Bontz-team] graphics engine, makefile

From: Owen Swerkstrom
Subject: [Bontz-team] graphics engine, makefile
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 12:10:39 -0700 (PDT)

Your only restriction is probably a good idea anyway,
the whole having animations in their own folders
thing.  We could actually do that for the movies too,
and save ourselves the trouble of integrating a divx
player or something.  We'd definitely want to go jpeg
though, PNGs would just be too huge.  But the videos
will be 640x240 (I love widescreen) and with 75%
quality jpegs floating around 13k at that size, we
could get about three seconds per meg, assuming the
film standard of 24 frames per second.  As long as the
sound library lets us get back some idea of how much
time has passed within the .ogg that's playing, we
should be able to synchronize pretty well.  24fps is
41.666... milliseconds, so 42, 42, 41, 42, 42, 41 or
something...

Uff, I got sidetracked.  Anyway about the game engine,
you've got sprites able to move around now (even
player-controlled, which is more than this minigame
will need) and you've got layers working.  So
basically getting the text menus going will probably
be the main challenge.  It would be neat if the text
was drawn in like in the old dragon warrior type
games, rather quickly, but still so you can see it
writing in.

While we're sort of just getting started, why don't we
put a target in the makefile for this fish race
minigame.  So, (a long time from now) when someone
does "make" it will build bontz, and when they do
"make fishrace" it will just build a standalone
minigame.  We might want some #ifdef stuff in the
minigame's source to determine whether to make a
main() or not, so bontz itself could use the same file
for that part of the game as the standalone...  well
I'm spitting this out before having really thought it
through, just so you can have it in mind and if some
nice elegant solution comes to you I can steal partial
credit for planting the idea in your head :^)