bontz-team

[Bontz-team] dock is in cvs, fish race

From: Owen Swerkstrom
Subject: [Bontz-team] dock is in cvs, fish race
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 10:27:43 -0700 (PDT)

I stuck it in media/tile/outdoor/dock
perhaps we should put the grass/dirt path stuff into
its own folder?

what stuff is most needed next?  a fish monger and his
basket... do we need other graphics for the fish race?
 Maybe a goofy olympic-style pedestal for the first
thru third place winners to flop around on?

oh no, I just had an idea.  Actually you might like
this one, it makes my life harder and yours easier.
Lemme paint you a picture... I'm seeing the entire
minigame here...

At first, the fish monger's sitting at the end of the
dock, fishing.  His pole tugs, he yanks back and out
of the water comes flying one of the four hapless
fish.  If the dock is going to scroll during the race,
the fish flies off the screen towards shore.  If it's
static, it lands on the shore side of the dock.  He
does this for each fish, really quickly.  (These are
incredibly stupid fish)  But, sometimes he pulls up
only two, sometimes only three, sometimes all four.
Then, he gets up and looks towards the screen.  A text
box comes up, "Would you like to bet on the races?  It
costs __ bucks."  (the price is random, 10 to 500 or
something) and you choose yes/no.  If you don't, he
asks "Do you want to watch anyway?", going back to the
main game (or for now, it just quits) if you say no.
If you bet, he asks which you'd like to bet on, You
select from a list.  He walks back to shore, the fish
are all still just flopping there.  A text box pops
up, "Ready... Set..." then closes and he makes a loud
noise, maybe by clashing cymbals or blowing a whistle
or something, which scares the bejesus out of the fish
and they start flopping away, down the dock.  The
first one to land, he says "...And puny fish is the
winner!!" or whichever fish won.  Your money then goes
up or down, he walks to the edge of the dock, sits
down and starts fishing, and the whole mess starts
over.

So you could perpetually gamble, judging whether the
wager is worth it based on your odds (how many fish
are racing each time) and all that stuff.  What do you
think?  Silly enough?  For the standalone minigame,
we'll need to just give the player some arbitrary
amount of money to start with and keep a high scores
file or something.