bontz-team

[Bontz-team] makefile, sync

From: Owen Swerkstrom
Subject: [Bontz-team] makefile, sync
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 14:59:21 -0700 (PDT)

cool beans about the different targets.  yeah, not
sure how to best deal with multiple possible mains.
probably what we ought to do is break as much of it
out as we can into basically config files, a map file,
a dialog file (the format of which we'll need to
invent or steal, I've seen something on freshmeat that
dealt with conversation trees and stuff, but I can't
find it now), and as much functional stuff as makes
sense broken out into libraries that both bontz and
fishrace will include, so that very little code
actually has to be duplicated in each main.  (the
fishrace main() will be as small as possible) ... well
I'm just thinking out loud, about stuff you've
probably already considered.  :^)

As for sound sync, most things will just be sound
effects to start at a specific moment - when a user
selects a menu item, when a splash animation starts,
etc.  But if we wanted to do movies ourselves out of
jpegs instead of integrating a divx player, we'll need
some way of asking the parts of SDL that are playing
the OGG "how much time has passed?" and skipping or
stretching out frames if need be...  Divx would give
us better compression and less to worry about
sync-wise, but I guess you've got to decide what's
going to be nastier for you to code, and hopefully by
the time we've got movies to stick in I'll be able to
do some hefty coding too.