bontz-team

Re: [Bontz-team] tiles

From: Owen Swerkstrom
Subject: Re: [Bontz-team] tiles
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 08:13:19 -0700 (PDT)

That looks really good.  Very very good ideas.  A
quick optimization in the tileset file, instead of:
> 4  /outdoor/grass/e.png 0
> 5  /outdoor/water/wet.info 1 1
how about
4 /outdoor/grass/e.png 0
5 /outdoor/water/wet.info 1
where there's just one animation column, either 0 (no
animation) or >0 (track number)

As for the map file, probably we'll want to put
x_coord and y_coord in there, the reason being there
might be several tiles on top of each other at the
same x,y coord, like the part-transparent shore on top
of the water.  Otherwise "layer" is sort of
meaningless.  Other than that, it looks very good.  If
I understand it right, elevation means this: if the
player's on a different elevation than a tile, he
can't walk there.  Anything tricky like elevators
would be scripted events that could change the
player's elevation number.  Is that what you had in
mind?

So for what it's worth you have my blessing, those
file formats look good to me and the idea of loading
stuff that way seems very sensible.  So when a map is
left, if the next one has a different tileset, the
previous tileset (including linked animations of
water/windmills/whatever) will be unloaded and the new
one loaded...  Sorry, just thinking out loud.  :^)
Oh, maybe a map has both a tileset and an objectset?
Object files then would contain links to both static
image files for trees etc and script files that are
sort of a cross between animation files and some new
instruction file (turn random, walk 2, repeat, etc) or
something?

Every object (NPC, signpost, large moustached pumpkin
etc)will have an origin at its feet/base/whatever,
which could be tied to the center of a tile if
desired.  We may want objects' origins to be
off-screen though, for example seeing treetops at the
bottom of the screen at the bottom of a map.  Not
terribly important but something to think about.

Also there's the possibility that a tile is both an
object and a portal.  (A door that's scripted to look
closed until you touch it, for example)

Uff, hope all this doesn't sound like raining on your
parade, 'cause I really liked what you suggested.  I
think expanding it just enough to cover the stuff I'm
talking about will make it perfect.  If we do an
"object file" like I suggested above, we can have it
just handle static .png objects like trees for now,
and not touch the whole crazy scripting thing until later.