Re: [Chicken-hackers] manual and chicken4 infrastructure

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] manual and chicken4 infrastructure
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 13:15:30 +0200

On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 11:38:55PM +0100, felix winkelmann wrote:
> Hi!
>

> I'm not certain how to handle the manual for the next release. Should
> it replace the current chicken-3 manual (what I would prefer), or
> should we split the manual into wiki subdirectories?

As I proposed before, the manual in separate directories, like we did
with the eggref, is IMHO the preferred solution.

Now that the eggref problem has been fixed, we can have a look at this.
If we agree this is the way to go, I can move the docs, if you want.

> To get rid of infrastructure machinery, egg-post-commit will not
> be required for chicken 4 eggs. Documentation should be in
> the wiki, and egg-maintainers can include it in the egg, if they
> want. Only the henrietta cgi and the egg-index-generator
> are required and these are very simple, can run anywhere and do not need
> to interact with subversion in complicated ways.

Excellent.

> How much of the chicken-3 infrastructure shall remain, and
> for how long? As I understand, Ivan has an interest in continuing
> chicken-3 maintenance and support and could host all the
> hairy egg-post-commit + svnwiki-translation stuff on his machine.

Why is the egg-post-commit still needed for Chicken 3?  Can the new
style 4 stuff be backported to 3?  In that case, it would simplify
everything and there would be no need to pull the plug on 3 at all.

http://sjamaan.ath.cx
                                                        -- Donald Knuth