Re: [Chicken-hackers] blob-literal read syntax

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] blob-literal read syntax
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 15:29:15 +0200

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 03:24:10PM +0200, Thomas Chust wrote:
> 2010/10/18 Felix <address@hidden>:
> > [...]
> > I have added read-syntax for blob-literals and currently use
> >
> >  #{<hex...>}
> >
> > [...]
> > I want to ask if perhaps another syntax might be preferrable. Any
> > ideas?
> > [...]
>
> Hello,
>
> it seems useful to me to have such syntax available, but I would find it
> even more convenient if the blob could be encoded in base 64 or something
> else less space consuming than hexadecimal.

I don't find base64 particularly readable or suitable for hand-entering.

If that data is coming from somewhere else and it's huge, perhaps it's
better to just store it in a file and read it, perhaps with the base64
egg.  I don't think we want to be adding a base64 parser to core Chicken
for just this.

http://sjamaan.ath.cx
                                                        -- Donald Knuth