Re: [Chicken-hackers] blob-literal read syntax

From: Alaric Snell-Pym
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] blob-literal read syntax
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 18:45:54 +0100

On 10/18/10 15:31, John Cowan wrote:
On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 8:48 AM, Alaric Snell-Pym
<address@hidden>  wrote:

In my cosy little world, blobs are just an ordered sequence of
addressible memory cells, with no particular interpretation of the
contents as numbers, characters, or smells, while SRFI-4 places definite
semantic models on the contents of a region of memory.

Fair enough; but in that case, they shouldn't have any read-write syntax.

Why not? Sure, to read/write them we have to pick *some* kind of model
(an even-lengthed string of nibbles, in this case) but it's arbitrary;
it doesn't matter as long as it can represent all strings of bytes (the
eight-bit byte having become a de-facto standard, we can at least rely
on that), and it's the same at both ends.

ABS

--
Alaric Snell-Pym
http://www.snell-pym.org.uk/alaric/