Re: [Chicken-hackers] blob-literal read syntax

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] blob-literal read syntax
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 11:14:57 -0400

Magnus Achim Deininger scripsit:

> =ybegin<text>=yend
>
> <text> is mostly the blob contents verbatim, i.e. without converting it
> to hex first, except for some special characters.

According to http://www.yenc.org/yenc-draft.1.3.txt , the format is
much more complex than that (involving multiple lines and keywords on
the header and trailer lines) and the contents are *not* verbatim: for
example, #x00 is encoded as '*' and #x32 (digit '2') is encoded as 'T'.
Furthermore, there is a hidden dependency on the character encoding of
a file in which yEnc objects are embedded: the encoded form of #x7E is
whatever character has a codepoint at #xA8 in that encoding, which is
not necessarily U+00A8.

If we must have blob syntax at all, I agree that hex is The Right Thing,
but allowing interspersed whitespace.

--
John Cowan                                address@hidden
han mathon ne chae, a han noston ne 'wilith.  --Galadriel, LOTR:FOTR