Re: [Chicken-hackers] CR #1142 and upcoming changes

From: Andy Bennett
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] CR #1142 and upcoming changes
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 13:27:58 +0100

Hi,

> I'd love to hear from some of the people using CHICKEN in their business
> or for other Serious Projects (Kristian? Ivan? Andy?) how painful this
> would be for them.

After taking some time to familiarise myself with them, these all sound
like big and important changes.

It took us a long time to migrate from 4.7 -> 4.9 and I expect that we
will be happy with 4.9 for quite some time to come yet. As such, when we
come to upgrade we would expect that it would be some work for us.

It may even be possible to do some parts of the work, such as splitting
srfis out of core, in 4.X as these will not require .scm sourcecode
changes; only metadata changes.

Would the intention be to move all primary development effort over to
the 5 branch? How would 4.9 stability releases work? Most of the
proposed 5 work is cleanup. Where would feature work be expected to be
done? What work would be done before the first stable 5 release and what
work would come in point releases after that?

Regards,
@ndy

--
address@hidden