Re: [Chicken-hackers] slow polling

From: Jörg F . Wittenberger
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] slow polling
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2016 19:43:06 +0100

Hi folks,

IMHO the patch in
http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/chicken-hackers/2016-02/msg00032.html
SHOULD be applied - it fixes a serious bug.

The modified scheduling policy may be considered once 4.11 is out.
Switching the timeout queue to a priority queue still looks as if it is
worth it.  But...code complexity.

The rest may be a read herring.  Almost that is.  There is definitely
something measurable to gain, but it is little - not worth the
additional build-time complexity.  At least not yet at this time[1].

This throws me back to the drawing board.  How do I figure out where
chicken spends those 30% additional runtime 4.9 did not?  Any clue
appreciated.

Cheers

/Jörg

[1]  I have a working version of those modifications here.  Now I
understand that the repeated re-creation of the fdset is because it
needs to be compatible with the select(2) based version.   Alternatively
(as I submitted the code) we need to conditionally compile scheme code
on NO_POSIX_POLL - apparently I'm not the only one who does not know how
to do that.