Re: [Chicken-hackers] slow polling

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] slow polling
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 14:36:17 +0100

On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 01:05:00PM +0100, address@hidden wrote:
> But backporting can be done afterwards, and even just if requested.
> Development on 4 should be phased out, IMHO, excepting critical
> security issues, of course.

Usually it's very little (or no) work to backport.  If it isn't, I
totally agree we shouldn't bother.

> I might be interested in the setup stuff, but it will take time, of course
> (it's quite some work to get this working on Windows + UNIX,) Evan's
> work and the setup stuff are the most critical parts to get something up
> and running. The next step would be THE SYSTEM... how about investigating
> this?

Ah yes, there are some small odds and ends that need a little bit of work,
but for the most part it "just works", as you can see from the Salmonella
runs; this uses chicken-install with the same Henrietta that's used for
CHICKEN 4.  It is major release-aware now, for the most part.  I think
only the "list available eggs" feature doesn't know about releases yet.
I'll take a look at fixing that.

Once the API is stabilised I'll try porting some non-svn eggs to see how
to best handle the transition in established repositories.  In the
roadmap I listed the possible options, I think.