Re: SWING at OJE

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: Re: SWING at OJE
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 16:43:42 +0000

>>> "Rolf W. Rasmussen" <address@hidden> 05-Feb-01 2:49:31 PM >>>

>1.I'm not certain that a complete Swing implementation
>will ever      become a practical goal.

Not until Sun decide what it is anyway.

>I was initially a bit wary of dragging in GTK+ into
>the implementation, but I've changed my position
>a little since then. I realized that a complete
>reimplementation of things like Bidi and glyph shaping
>would be a massive waste of effort when there already
>exist libraries that do this.

I agree.

>Likewise, while implementing the document model of
>javax.swing.text I got the feeling that this is something
>that it would be a shame to implement just for Java
>Swing, when it clearly can be useful in a general library.

I agree with this too... I am working (very slowly) on a web browser
written in Java. It is quite different from existing concepts of web
browsers. I originally looked at Swing's document model to see if it
would do what I wanted it to do... but it's too restrictive.

So I've been developing a library (in Java) for handling documents
the way I want to using lightweight AWT components.

Nic