Re: SWING at OJE

From: Rolf W. Rasmussen
Subject: Re: SWING at OJE
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 21:42:38 +0100

On Mon, Feb 05, 2001 at 12:28:16PM -0500, Andrew Selkirk wrote:
>[...]
> You've hit the nail on the head.  I have given it a lot of thought to
> that myself from the beginning of OJE.  You are right that that the
> completely safe route is to only refer to documentation.  My position
> is based on the following issues:
>  - java is an environment for programs to run.  This is the same for
>    the WINE project and the Sony-Connectix case (apply all the same
>    arguments for these projects).  For example, for WINE, you
>    create programs that you run under Windows to gather information.
>    I've done just that.
>[...]

Yes, reverse-engineering is permitted in most countries with sane laws.
However, I don't think you can claim that you're making a clean-room
implementation at the same time, unless you're deploying some kind of
double-blind scheme.

> >If you'd like, I can give you the code I have (LGPL), and give you a
> >helping hand. However, I don't really have much time to spare lately.
>
> That's awesome!  Every piece helps.

I've sifted through my old files and placed the relevant files in an
archive that I've put up at
<URL:http://www.ii.uib.no/~rolfwr/jcnix/jcnix-swing.tar.gz>.  Do what
like with it.  Since I want to continue doing "safe" clean-room
implementations I unfortunately cannot look or work on your source
code.  However, I'll be happy to attempt to answer any questions you
may have, or help you solve tricky problems concerning Swing.

--
Rolf W. Rasmussen                              "Printer friendly format"?
                                                     I must be a printer.