Re: SWING at OJE

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: Re: SWING at OJE
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 21:08:00 +0000

>>> Jeff Sturm <address@hidden> 05-Feb-01 7:16:21 PM >>>

>Oh sure.  I understand the perils of JDBC all too well.
>But what to do when customers all insist on having Oracle,
>and the only Type 4 driver (available from Oracle) is badly
>broken?

Jeff, Jeff, Jeff... there is really the simplest technical solution:
mv

eg:

   mv postgresql.jar oracle.jar

That generally solves any problems.

>> Speaking of server side Java and GCJ I'm keen to
>> make some time to test GNU-Paperclips (a servlet
>> engine) with GCJ to see what performance increase
>> we get.

>Ahh... thanks for the tip.  I've been keen to trying
>something besides Apache Tomcat.

Paperclips isn't yet ready for casual users. We are in the middle of
converting it from 2.1 to 2.3 APIs and have to add a whole load of
stuff yet.

However, we hope to be ready "real soon now". Probably the end of
feb. When that happens hopefully I'll have some time to test with
GCJ.

Nic