Re: SWING at OJE

From: Jeff Sturm
Subject: Re: SWING at OJE
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 12:32:44 -0500

Nic Ferrier wrote:
> JNI is not called as often on the server side...

Don't be so sure.  Certain JDBC drivers with native JNI libs perform quite
poorly.

> a servlet app will
> have to read and write from a TCP socket as native ops... a client
> side Swing app will have a lot more interaction with the native
> libraries (every time the mouse moves fire an event etc...).

Yep.  In practice JNI is so slow that there is often no performance benefit from
native code, when a pure Java implementation is available.

My pet JNI complaint is the difficulty of maintaining per-object native state.
It is necessary for writing just about any JNI wrappers over native libraries,
especially window systems.

--
Jeff Sturm
address@hidden