Re: jdiff.sh

From: Stuart Ballard
Subject: Re: jdiff.sh
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 08:18:26 -0400

Giannis Georgalis wrote:
Tom Tromey <address@hidden> writes:
I already volunteered! And let's make it more interesting... If it
does not find a specific method/ constructor/ ...  in GNU classpath
source it should write one (:))...well I mean if it does not find
eg. the constructor "public File(URI uri)" it should make a backup
copy of File.java and add to the original:

public File(URI a)
{

}

in the "////////// constructors ///////////" section ofcourse...
Do you agree Stuart?

I think that would be another nice additional tool to provide.

I'm a firm believer in the theory that every program should do just one job, and do it well. That's why japitools consists of four separate programs...

I already have plans for a future version to support output in a machine-readable "raw" mode that can be converted to text or html as appropriate (and also can be used for filtering). Once you've got a machine-readable output mode, you can do anything with it, including writing a tool to run across java source code and "automatically" fix the errors.

I don't think that anything in japitools should be specific to GNU Classpath - it should work on *any* Java source code.

I probably won't be writing that tool myself, but so long as it met the criteria of being a standalone program and not being classpath-specific, I'd happily include it in japitools and I think it would be a very cool feature to provide.

Stuart.

--
Stuart Ballard, Programmer
NetReach - Internet Solutions