Help needed to persuade apaches about the Classpath license.

From: Meskauskas Audrius
Subject: Help needed to persuade apaches about the Classpath license.
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 15:42:40 +0200

Hello, Mark,

Doing web search I found that one Apache group, Geronimo project, currently needs CORBA implementation, cannot find that they want and are about to write it from scratch. I suggested them to try our CORBA. I think it would be good; they can at least discover and report bugs, not already speaking about potential prospects to get more developers. That group do not want to use our work because they say our license is GPL. But, if I understand correctly, this is not completely true. Until now I thought that one of the reasons to have the exception in our license is to make project Apache compatible, in order to join the Harmony project. They seem not believe me.

Maybe you could help me to persuade that folk?

The message I found in the list address@hidden:

Jacek>I wonder what options do we have to use as a CORBA implementation in
Jacek>Geronimo (as a ASF project). I'm not familiar with the nuances of
Jacek>miscellaneous licenses, but unless I'm mistaken we don't have too much Jacek>choices - Sun's ORB or OpenORB, right? Again, unless I'm mistaken if I Jacek>were to be asked I'd say we ain't too happy with both, but couldn't say
Jacek>why :( Wiki is silent on this, too.

Jacek>Yes, I'm lost and asking for a help - could anyone answer where we are
Jacek>with the CORBA stuff?

(My proposal to use GNU Classpath CORBA follows)

Reply to my message:

Meskauskas,

Thanks for offering this up. But I *think*, and I can easily be corrected, the licensing is the issue. For our initial implementation, I believe we must have software that is compatible with the Apache license and IIUC, GNU classpath is GPL.

Jeff