Re: Help needed to persuade apaches about the Classpath license.

From: Dalibor Topic
Subject: Re: Help needed to persuade apaches about the Classpath license.
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 14:00:46 +0200

Meskauskas Audrius wrote:
E... that exactly do you mean? How can I submit them a patch, calling classes that are not part of the Geronimo project? How would they compile such a contribution?

I am sorry for being unclear. I meant something like checking geronimo out of CVS, adding the GNU Classpath CORBA classes to it, and putting the resulting tarball online somewhere for geronimo developers & general public to peek at.

You don't have to be a member of the Geronimo project to do that, you patch things up, and put the tarball on your site, and invite geronimo developers to try it out.

> Another problem is
that like all our project,
CORBA is intended to be operated via standard public classes, not via implementation specific ones. The alternative CORBA implementation is plugged in just using property file.

Yeah. I have no idea how geronimo uses CORBA and if that requires messing with Sun's implementation. Maybe they try to work around Sun's bugs. I have not yet looked at Geronimo code myself, so my suggestion above might not work at all, for example.

My thought was based on the observation that many Apache developers see pragmatism as one of their defining characteristics. Persuading such developers might be easier with a patched up tarball of geronimo that includes GNU Classpath's CORBA implementation, than by debating how licensing works.

Otoh, it may turn out to be a lot of work: as I said, I have not looked at what Geronimo does with CORBA, so take my proposal with the obligatory salt mine. ;)

cheers,
dalibor topic